Wednesday, September 7, 2011

it's hot!

Well, so much for summer being over.  We got a serious heat wave this week.  Serious enough to send us to Costco tonight to buy a window AC unit for our bedroom (now why we didn't do that sooner I'll never know- maybe when we get the first electric bill I'll know).  Serious enough to make Brooklyn strip down to her undies the second she walked in the door from school.  Serious enough to give Ellie sweaty bangs all day.  And serious enough to send this little one running around the house "bunsie".  Totally reminded me of a Shel Silverstein poem (of whom I was a huge fan in elementary school).  Goes like this...

IT"S HOT
It's hot!
I can't get cool,
I've drunk a quart of lemonade.
I think I'll take my shoes off
And sit around in he shade.

It's hot!
My back is sticky,
the sweat rolls down my chin.
I think I'll take my clothes off
And sit around in my skin.

It's hot!
I've tried with 'lectric fans,
And pools and ice cream cones.
I think I'll take my skin off
And sit around in my bones.

It's still hot!

(Now if you've read A light in the Attic as many times as I have you can totally picture a guy in only his bones sweating in front of a fan- in typical Silverstein illustration-love it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment