Sunday, May 23, 2010

TV

The other day I was reading a stat in Parenting magazine that said kids between the ages of 2 and 5 watch more TV than any other age group, 32 hours a week. I was blown away by this amount, and when I did the math I realized this is about 4 1/2 hours a day. Consider this: if a kid is awake for roughly 14 hours a day and spends 4 hours a day watching TV, in a single week they have watched a total of 2 entire waking days of television. I can easily see how this could happen though. TV is easy, no set up, or clean up, just push a button and there you go. There is minimal fighting when the TV is on and it holds the attention of a typically short-attention-span toddler longer than just about any other activity. And TV allows me to sleep past 6 am, nurse the baby, cook dinner, shower, and sometimes (but rarely) nap. But all this to say, I am now making a concious effort to limit the abmount of TV/videos the girls are watching. Easier on me...no, better for them...yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment