Sunday, November 6, 2011

granny shares her granny squares


Okay, its decided.  I have the most amazing mother-in-law there is to have.  The only problem is she lives half way across the country.  And our visits are never long enough, or frequent enough.  But this week she got to come out and spend some time with us.  And as usual, she brought gifts.  And not just the kind she picked up in the airport gift shop either.  Ones that she spent hours and hours on stitching, sewing, crocheting, knitting, quilting (I told you she was amazing).  Adorable smocked dresses for the girls, hand quilted trick or treat bags, hand knitted beanies, a fall table runner, and a granny square pillow with a story behind it.  Please note the first picture.  This was back in the summer when we took a trip out to Tennessee and Judy showed me (for at least the tenth time) how to crochet.  This time my goal was granny squares, a whole blanket afghan of them (Judy informed me that blanket are purchased form the store, afghans are knitted or crocheted by hand).  I raided her scrap yarn bin and made off with a stash of beauties (fig. 2). And I began to granny.  And boy did they look pretty (fig. 3).  About 3-4 squares in to it, I decided a blanket afghan was a bit lofty for me so I decided it would be a pillow.  About 8-9 squares into it I decided maybe even a pillow was too lofty and settled for a pillow front.  About 12-13 squares late the entire project went on hold.  Like a 5 month hold.   Enter Judy and her completely perfect granny square pillow.  The granny-ing granny saves the day.  I guess this means I'm back to the original goal of a blanket afghan.  Maybe one for Leighton's baby doll crib is more up my alley.

5 comments:

  1. Erin, I am so impressed! I love the pillow. Go for the afghan. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pillow! And she sounds like a great woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! What a wonderful amazing Mother in law. You are very blessed.
    and my mom has sat and tried to teach me to crochet about a million times too. something just doesn't click for me. I am glad you have it figured out. I love scrappy granny squares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so pretty! Love the colors. You did so great!

    ReplyDelete