Friday, July 22, 2011

Life is not always a bowl of cherries. Especially when your baby chokes on one.  Like really chokes.  Like yank her out of her high chair, sweep her mouth, bang on her back, try to remember the baby Heimlich, this dang thing is not coming out, Jesus help me, kind of choke.  Strangely enough it was a pretty small piece of cherry.  Of course I had cut them up so she wouldn't choke.  But she, in typical Leighton fashion, had shoved 3 or 4 pieces in at the same time.  I am so thankful Brett was home.  So thankful we were sitting close beside her and noticed right away what was happening.  So thankful he was able to get that cherry to come out in time.  So thankful our baby is okay.  
Obviously this led me to do a little refresher on the baby Heimlich.  Here's what I found.  I have to admit, this is not what I was doing.  Apparently the old slapping on the back is not the best way.  Anyway, hope it's helpful to you- actually I hope you never ever have to use it, but just in case...

Follow these steps to help a choking infant:

Lay the child down, face up, on a firm surface and kneel or stand at the victim's feet, or hold infant on your lap facing away from you. Place the middle and index fingers of both your hands below his rib cage and above his navel. Press into the victim's upper abdomen with a quick upward thrust; do not squeeze the rib cage. Be very gentle. Repeat until object is expelled.

If the Victim has not recovered, proceed with CPR. The Victim should see a physician immediately after rescue.

Don't slap the victim's back. (This could make matters worse.)

2 comments:

  1. You are the second person that we know who had that happen to in one week. The even had to call 911. So scary. I love that you posted the how-to. I always knew that you are not supposed to hit their backs, but that is what I instinctually want to do the second I hear my kids coughing if they swallow something the wrong way. Praise God that she is okay. It puts everything into perspective, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PTL little L is ok. That is a traumatic thing to have to go through. I'm glad she is ok. I fear this situation...

    ReplyDelete