Friday, April 22, 2011

snug as a mug on a rug


Coffee wakes me up in the morning and slows me down in the evening.  There is rarely a day that passes when coffee doesn't bookend my day.  And its always french press with plenty of vanilla creamer.  And now, my coffee has a soft place to land.  Brett gave me an "oh brother" when I showed him my mug rug, but he didn't hesitate to ask me to borrow it later (he may need one of his own right?).  Anyway, very easy to make (especially with a serger!) and I'm sure you have enough scraps laying around to make one today! You need 2 pieces of fabric about 5"x7" (for front and back), 2 pieces of felt 5"x7" (for padding), and several small scraps (for making it extra pretty).  Before you start sewing, decide if you want any embroidery and do that first on the fabric piece that will become your "front".   Everything else can fit around that.  Then make a stack of your fabrics (right sides out) with the felt in between.  Serge or zig-zag stitch around the outer edges.  Pin down several patches and then sew straight (kind of) lines down the length of the fabric and over the patches.  And there you have it.  Now your mug can be snug on a rug of its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment