Sunday, January 2, 2011

Very Hungry Caterpillar Birthday

One sunny morning our little caterpillar turned one...and she was still hungry!

Inspired by Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar, 
we celebrated Leighton's first birthday this weekend. 

I found these party supplies at Target months ago planning for Leighton's birthday, 
which comes way too soon after Christmas 
(next year I'll plan her party in October- a much slower month!).

 We made egg carton caterpillars and coffee filter/clothes pin butterflies...

 Had lots of fun with green paint...

And did some Eric Carle coloring.

I couldn't believe I found gummy caterpillars (thank you Walmart) 
and they ate their way though peach and apple O's... but they were still hungry!

 I planned on a Very Hungry Caterpillar fruit salad with lunch, 
but didn't count on the fact that strawberries and plums are very hard to find in December- 
none at 3 grocery stores!

 
Brooklyn shared the story of the Very Hungry Caterpillar 
with everyone before Leighton opened her presents.

Grandma, our traditional cake baker was out of commission for the weekend 
so I had to step up to the plate and make the cake this year. 

 
  Then she at through one cupcake and she wasn't hungry anymore...


 Happy 1st Birthday Leighton!




1 comment:

  1. You've outdone yourself. I especially loved the gummy caterpillars eating through the apples and pears (though it did make my teeth hurt to think about it.)

    ~Cams

    ReplyDelete