Sunday, June 5, 2011

every story whispers his name...


I grew up going to church at least once a week.  On top of that, I attended a christian school from preschool through college.  So from Sunday school through Old Testament 101, I've been very exposed to the basic Bible stories.  Creation, Noah's ark, Abraham, Joseph, Moses, David, Jonah ... I heard them dozens of times and knew them all.  But it was just a few months ago, as an adult reading the same stories to my girls out of this book, that I was able to see all of these familiar stories through a new lens, the lens of Jesus.  Read the intro to the Jesus Storybook Bible for yourself to get an idea about what I'm talking about.

Here's an excerpt from the story of Joseph.  I always thought it was just about Joseph and his brothers.  How he had a heart of forgiveness.  I never realized it was painting a picture of Jesus himself.  The true "forgiving prince" who would forgive the sins of the whole world.


I was amazed at the way each story touched my heart.  I only pray it has the same effect on the little ones I read it to and that they learn at a young age how much God loves them and has made a way to rescue them too.

Linkin' up with Katie here...

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how God's word can totally come alive on the page - I had a similar experience this week too. Then this mornings quiet time was Hebrew 4! His word is a alive & can penetrate to the heart xxx

    Ps. I am really enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Erin. I often think the same thing as I read bible stories to our kids. I especially love their questions and at times have even been stumped by them. Thanks so much for linking up. I hope you can do it again! Your words and photos are always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that book gets me every. time.
    i think it's my favorite book ever.

    ReplyDelete